As an IT professional who serves numerous clients, it’s not uncommon to receive requests for upgrade of products from customers. The Internet has definitely changed from text-based sites to multimedia-rich websites. As with any advancement accomplished, one must adapt or get left in the dust.
It was discovered during a conversation with a customer who was just learning about the new way of transmitting live video via the Internet and requested it be built into his website. He had an upcoming seminar and in order to live sex cams break the distance barrier it was necessary for the event to be streamed live over the Internet. It was a daunting endeavor, given that I had no knowledge about the latest technology, called video streaming.
Live broadcasting from one location to other locations is not a new concept, news organizations such as CNN and Fox are able to live broadcast via satellite links. Improvement in video technologies along with higher computing power and a lower cost for bandwidth have provide the foundation for live broadcast of audio and video content via the Internet. Making use of new technology to improve efficiency involves a blending of the old and the latest.
The Internet set the stage for live video streaming with its high speed Internet connection as well as the latest techniques for video compression. However, to broadcast videos from your website, you could be required to create a list to make the best out of your investment.
Before you start setting up your video Streaming
1. What to stream and what not to stream or not to. It’s one thing to deploy cutting edge technology on your website. But its effectiveness is an entirely different issue. Don’t incorporate video streaming in your website if it doesn’t help the purpose of your design. The cost of video hosting and bandwidth required is much more expensive than traditional websites. If it’s a commercial site, then the extra price must be justified.
Alternatives might include using graphics and text as a way to present the narrative or converting the films into texts. Another option is YouTube which allows you to display an image of the video, and then write a summary and place an image of the video’s URL on YouTube. On YouTube your videos are available for free and can be watched on demand.
2. Live streaming or Video on Demand. Online video streaming is available in two types – the live stream and video on demand. Live streaming is real-time broadcast over the Internet and viewers are able to only watch the videos as you broadcast them. The missed video cannot be replayed, nor can the contents cannot be saved on the personal computer of the viewer. They are ideal for high-profile events and seminars or breaking news visuals that are best enjoyed when viewed real time.
When using Video on Demand, the videos are stored on the server and are able to be watched at any moment. The packaged program, music videos, adverts, are examples of videos that are suitable that are suitable for Video on Demand. Videos on you tube are on demand, they can only be downloaded when you have a download manager.
Live streaming demands more hardware including webcams, capture cards, video recorders, video compression utilities and broadband Internet access, etc. It demands more accuracy, allowing for no mistakes. Video on Demand requires less hardware , usually a computer and Internet connection. The type of content and presentation should decide the form of video streaming chosen.
3. Self hosting or hosting via Content Delivery Network. Most web hosts have video streaming services, which means that you could host your videos directly on the server that hosts your site. The video streaming is managed in the same way as your website, and you’re completely responsible for the administration.
You could also use those services offered by Content Delivery Networks who host your videos on their own. You will be provided with a separate control panel to manage your videos. This will reduce the burden on your site’s administration and management.
Both choices have advantages and disadvantages, but you’ll have to decide what is best for your needs. Hosting and managing your own videos or having your video hosted by a different platform.
One obvious benefit for Content Delivery Networks is that they’re specifically designed to handle the streaming of your videos. Therefore, you’ll receive more value for every dollar you spend on video streaming.
4. Quality vs size of your videos. Bit-rate can be defined as the speed at which data is transmitted each second. A bit-rate of 64 k bps means that 64 bits of data is being transmitted every second. The transmission of data is measured this way. In general, the bigger the video file, the greater the bit-rate and the more bandwidth required to transfer it via the Internet.
Each whenever I compress a file, I shrink the size as well as the quality in order that the bandwidth needed to transfer is reduced. The main reason to compress video is cost. A smaller bandwidth is less expensive. However, when you are trying to decrease your video’s size you should not lose sight of the fact that quality of the video will be affected.
A second factor to be considered when setting the bit-rate is available bandwidth available to households. If I’m trying to broadcast high quality videos I opt for a bit-rate of 512 kbps for my videos. With no consideration of the fact that the majority my viewers only have access to 256 k bps or less, I run the risk of losing the viewers.
5. The videos you upload to your home page , or on other pages. By placing the video onto your home page will require your video to be played every when your website is visited. In the event of delays in loading, your customers may not have time to watch the video. If they’re placed on other pages inside your site, your visitors can choose to visit the page to watch them. That way they can sit and watch the videos even if it take longer to play.
Uploading your videos to your website can also be cost efficient. Since you are charged per download. If your video is on the homepage it will be charged every time someone visits the site. Most times they never stop to view the video. However, videos embedded inside the website are advertised as visitors click on their links to watch them. It is more efficient on your dollar because most of your site visitors go through the videos.
The list is not comprehensive However, the ideas outlined are crucial to take into consideration prior to setting up the streaming of videos on your site. Other factors such as which hosting platform, streaming media, the video files to support etc . will be considered along the way